Sunday, March 9, 2008

Report Outline

Project:

What are the most effective ways to renovate an historic building, and what are some methods to successfully implement energy efficient and sustainable building practices.

Methods:

1. Gather information from several different types of sources, on renovation, specifically the issues and problems relating to renovating historic, older homes.

2. Research information on energy effective materials and methods of building.

3. Create a comparison between short-term costs of building energy efficient, and the long-term savings. This will require research into current prices of building materials.

4. Apply this knowledge and lay out an essay which will inform individuals how they can renovate their historical homes to create a more sustainable, green, house.

Special Problems:

1. Information on costs of materials will need to be carefully checked during the progress of the report, as prices could vary over the next eight months.

2. It has been simple to find references and information on renovating houses, but I will need to some deeper searching and interviews to find more specific information on how to link green building together with older housing.

3. In order to tie everything together, I may need to apply this research to a specific project, such as locating a historic home which is need of updating and renovations.

Also:

As there are so many different choices on how to make a building more sustainable, I will need to focus on specific aspects of sustainability, as to not have too much information. Ultimately, I will be looking for what a homeowner can do to upgrade their home which will provide the largest impact while still being affordable.


4 comments:

Dale Parkes said...

You blog is looking great Morgan. I would suggest that you choose a specific building in need of renovation and make recommendations for how this can be done. This will help to focus your research.
I was just telling Mitch that the Kamloops Museum has walking tours of the West End in the summer time: http://www.kamloops.ca/museum/heritagewalkingtour.shtml
Remember to come see me about the Dwell Magazine article. Their web site, http://www.dwell.com/homes/renovations has some interesting renos, but not the one that I am thinking of.

Anonymous said...

I found this book on the Chapters website, I think you might find it useful:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Eco-Renovation-Edward-Harland/9780930031664-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527green+renovations%2527

I also found this website, I don't think you already have it listed:

http://www.canada.com/findit/realestate/story.html?id=1b39e0dc-2469-48d2-8907-cf34d7048be0&k=17112

Happy Researching!

Anonymous said...

Morgan! I found another site. I have also included a link on Mitch's page. But I think this may fit better with your topic. There are several articles on this page about preserving historic buildings. Hope it helps.

http://www.architectureweek.com/topics/hp-01.html

Morgan Turland said...

Thanks for the links, everyone. The heritage walking tour link doesn't seem to work, but I'll search the Kamloops website and hopefully find it!