Project:
What are the most effective methods to make heritage homes more sustainable in Kamloops?
Methods:
1. Gather information from several different types of sources, on renovation, specifically the issues and problems relating to renovating historic, older homes.
2. Research information on energy effective materials and methods of building.
3. Apply this knowledge and lay out a report which will inform individuals how they can renovate their historical homes to create a more sustainable, green, house.
Special Problems:
1. Can the same advice be used for different homes, or are historic homes too different and need to be studied on a case by case basis?
2. How far is too far when it comes to updating older homes? Where do you draw the line between sustainability and keeping their heritage.
3. Is cost an issue that should be looked at?
4. Are there restrictions set out by the city which will restrict how much you can change your home?
Also:
As there are so many different choices on how to make a building more sustainable, I will need to focus on specific aspects of sustainability, as to not have too much information. Ultimately, I will be looking for what a homeowner can do to upgrade their home which will provide the largest impact while still attempting to maintain the heritage look and feel.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Morgan,
This is a really good topic. One of the concerns I have with creating heritage homes more sustainable is the cost. It is required that on any renovation that you upgrade to the current codes standards. Would this overshoot the budget constraints?
Something to think about
I was originally going to consider cost and affordability as a main part of the project, but it was decided that there was already going to be plenty of information without it, and that exact costs will be difficult to find, and can get outdated easily.
It was also mentioned in class that the homes within the Westend of Kamloops are quite expensive, and it's obvious that there would be very high costs to updating these homes - but that might not be as much of an issue to these homeowners.
I'll be mentioning it, of course, but not too as grand an extent as I originally thought.
I found another book for you Morgan, it is called Energy-Efficiency Upgrades: Principles, Details, Examples and is available from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/3764381213/ref=sib_rdr_dp
It is from the Details series of books which are produced in Germany, so the technology might be a bit different, but it should have some good information and of course excellent detail drawings.
In response to Jared's comment, it depends on the scope of the renovations weather or not you would need to meet current codes. For example, just adding insulation would not require you to update your stairs, but if you put in new stairs, they should meet current codes. Some aspects of an old home may be impossible to upgrade to current codes. Imagine if you had to meet current headroom requirements?!
Morgan, I found a great article on the internet about your topic.
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/personal/new-home-improvement/heritage.cfm?attr=4
Post a Comment